Allow symbolic links with single files

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Hi I was wondering if you are planning to add the ability to share single files as well as folders. I'm sure there are many reasons why this would be useful but for me it is because I want to share a save file which is located in the application path e.g. so I can share a 8kb file instead of a 1gb folder.

Also I was wondering if you could add a check that the symbolic link has been created. If it hasn't then undo actions? I don't have the problem any more as I read the common problems section but it's too easy to delete your files if you aren't careful.

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2011 at 4:38 AM

Unfortunately I don't plan on adding the capability for files. I have all but stopped actively developing this project except for any critical bugs.

Regarding it deleting your files, like I said, it should never delete anything if it wasn't successful. The worst thing that should happen if that the folder ends up in your Dropbox folder but the symbolic link fails to be created, in which case you can just move the folder back to its original location. The only time Dropboxifier will explicitly delete your files in a non-recoverable way is if you select the "delete and link" resolve option, for which I hope I provide adequate warning with the double confirmation boxes.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Hi, 

I am looking for the same thing too. In fact, my use for it is only limited to files and not folders (for instance, syncing the word 2010 normal template across computers). 

if you aren't developing this further, is anyone taking over, or is there any alternative software that can do what we are looking for?

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I'll continue to fix bugs as needed, but other than that I don't plan to add any more features, like single file support. Since I'm the only one on this project, unless someone forks the source code (it is open source, after all), no one will be taking over.

As for recommendations, other than making file links by hand (using 'mklink'), you could check other Dropbox folder sync options from: http://dropboxwiki.com/Sync_Other_Folders. Of particular interesting would be the Link Shell Extension as that appears to have support for files. Of course none of these options will track and resolve the links like Dropboxifier, but it should work.